By popular demand below you will find the recipe for my BFN Nut Chews / Slice. I made this over the weekend as the multiple night and early morning breast feeds left me starving and I wanted to make sure I was snacking on food that would provide adequate nutrition and health benefits for both me and little Byron.
It is super easy to make, so if your baking skills or time is limited fear not - you will be able to master this recipe!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3/4 cup macadamias
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used toasted coconut flakes)
- 85g rice malt syrup
- Pre heat over to 180 degrees celsius
- Roughly chop the nuts and place on a baking try lined with baking paper
- Place nuts in oven and lightly roast for 8-10 minutes
- Once the nuts have done their time in the oven, combine all other ingredients into one bowl - nuts and all.
- Stir the mixture together until it starts to combine and start to stick when mixed
- Place this mixture into a baking tray, pressing the mix firmly into the tray so that it is nice and compact
- Place the tray into the oven for a further 10 minutes
- Once the 10 minutes is up place the baking tray in the freezer and leave to set for at least one hour
- Once the hour is up remove the mix from the freezer and chop into the desired size pieces, I like bite size ones for easy snack options and portion control (nuts are full of energy so you don't want to over indulge in this snack), but you could always cut into muesli bar slice pieces also.
- Once chopped up, put in a tupperware container and store in your fridge to enjoy as desired!
This snack is loaded with plenty of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, vitamin E and refined sugar free!
The perfect snack to go with a morning coffee, afternoon pick me up to get you through the working day, or for those breast feeding Mumma's.