Who doesn't love a good pizza and movie night? Often though when you are trying to stick to a fitness goal or weight loss plan pizza doesn't always go hand in hand with the two.
Luckily there are plenty of options out there that are a little more guilt free. They may not be as convenient but are still just as delicious and pack a more nutritious hit than your standard take away or home made pizza.
Try this simple cauliflower pizza base recipe next time you feel like pizza but don't want the bloat, calories and discomfort that comes with it. Whilst it is a simple recipe, it does take approximately 20 minutes to prep, then 20-30 minutes to cook the base before you put your toppings on - but it is worth it!
The following mixture will give you 1 pizza base.
WHAT YOU NEED:
Makes 1 Pizza base
- 500g cauliflower
- 20g grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- Mixed herbs, pepper, garlic/chilli salt (to add flavour to the base)
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and add a pizza stone to the oven to warm up.
- Chop the cauliflower into chunks and put through a food processor until they resemble bread crumbs. I used my Thermomix, Speed 5 for 6 seconds.
- Once in fine pieces soften the cauliflower by boiling, microwaving or steaming until it has softened.
- If using a thermomix for this stage add in 400g of hot water to the mixing bowl, put the cauliflower in the rice basket, set timer for 10 minutes, Temp - Varoma, Speed 1.
- This is the most important step: Once the cauliflower has softened, use a muslin wrap or light tea towel to squeeze as much moisture out of the cauliflower as possible. Your pizza base will not remain formed if too much moisture is left in the cauliflower, so get squeezing!
- Once as much moisture has possible has been removed add the cauliflower, eggs, seasoning and cheese to your blender or mixing bowel and combine to resemble a dough.
- If using a thermomix - Time 30s, Speed 4.
- Place baking paper on top of your pizza stone and spray with coconut oil to avoid any sticking (in case you didn't get all of the moisture out).
- Spread the mixture evenly over your warmed pizza stone to resemble a pizza base
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Top with your favourite pizza top pins & put back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, then enjoy!
I generally double or triple the mixture as one pizza isn't enough in our household and use my Thermomix. If I am doubling or tripling the mixture, I process the 500g of cauliflower separately (chop, steam & squeeze). I then combine it all at the end with double or triple the remaining ingredients, blend into one big mix and then divide out onto my pizza stones.
As I said, a simple (somewhat time consuming) pizza base that tastes fantastic and provides an extra nutritional hit packed full of fibre, B, C & K vitamins. Try it on your next pizza night and #balancefitnessnutrition so I can see your delicious creations!