I love adding slices of citrus fruits to my water to make it a little more thirst quenching and regularly have a glass of lemon water each morning.
Lately I have been making some juice that is a more concentrated to kick start my morning. I call this juice good morning! With its citrus and slightly tart punch it is enough to wake any one up.
This juice mix is full of health benefits without being full of sugar like most other juices. Whilst juices are a great way to get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals they are often highly concentrated in sugar (fructose) which can send your blood sugar levels up very quickly. Lemon is a fruit that is low in sugar containing just 2.5g per 100g; a huge difference when you compare this to apples 10g, bananas 12g or mangos 14g.
Some of the benefits of this simple concoction are;
- Get your daily dose of vitamins: vitamin C, B6, A, E, potassium and more
- Assists to cleanse your liver and aid digestion
- Strengthen your immune system
- Studies have also shown that lemon juice can aid in eliminating the occurrence of kidney stones
- Help control blood pressure for those with high blood pressure
- It’s tasty & refreshing
What you need:
- 2 x lemons
- 1 x orange
- 400ml water
- Crushed ice
- Peel and de-seed lemons and orange
- Cut into quarters and place into blender of choice (If serving immediately add some cubed ice blocks)
- Once the fruit is well blended, add the water and blend for another 3-4 minutes. If you wish to have a more concentrated juice add less water. However adding water helps to dilute the fructose
Like all fresh juices it is best to consume soon after making them, however I find the above ingredients make enough to last me one glass a morning for about three mornings. It is best to refrigerate in an air tight container and shake each morning prior to drinking.